Wednesday, May 26, 2010

An Interview with House Theatre Artistic Director Nathan Allen! EXCLUSIVE!


So, I sat down with wunderkind Artistic Director Nathan Allen, who finally brought interesting theatre to Chicago with The House Theatre Company. I asked him some probing questions! Come on, join the probe!

Are you upset that you did not think of doing Cherrywood first?

Butane in my veins and I’m out to cut the junkie with the plastic eyeballs
(Ed. – This is a weird comment.)

So wait, the House does original work?

Don’t believe everything that you breathe
You get a parking violation and a maggot on your sleeve
(Ed. – Wait, Eric, he was actually saying these things? Eric – Yes. I don’t think he was really listening, he kept looking at his iPhone and sort of chuckling.)

What's your earliest memory?

The daytime crap of the folksinger club
He hung himself with a guitar string
A slab of turkey-neck and it’s hangin’ from a pigeon wing
(Ed. – This comes nowhere near answering the question. Eric – He started rubbing my knee here also.)

Does it hurt to think about it now?

You can’t write if you can’t relate
(Ed. – This is retarded. Eric – I dunno. It’s all he would say. He was wearing a Nixon mask at this point.)

What's for din-din tonight?

Go crazy with the cheese whiz
(Ed. – Oh, come on! Eric – Please, can I go? This is too painful to relive like this.)

Does it hurt to think about it now?

I’m a driver, I’m a winner; things are gonna change I can feel it
(Ed. – What a jerk. What a huge fucking jerk. Eric - *sobs*)

-Eric Roach, Anderson Lawfer

No comments:

Post a Comment